The Portuguese Biochemical Society (SPB) was founded in 1957 as an independent section of the Lisbon Society of Medical Sciences. It became an autonomous society in 18 February 1975. SPB is governed by a Directive Committee, constituted by one President, one Vice-president, one Treasurer, one Secretary and three Adjunct Secretaries. The Directive Committee meets regularly at least four times a year. The SPB Generaly Assembly Board has one President, one General Secretary and one Adjunct Secretary and meets in general once a year. Other legislative bodies include the Fiscal Committee and the Consulting Committee. SPB has two affiliated organizations, the Portuguese Society of Plant Physiology and the Portuguese Biophysical Society. The representatives of these societies constitute the Consulting Committee.